Monday, January 16, 2012

Home Again

What a great weekend, best we've had in ages.  We got up and away earlier than expected and got to Julie's easily with little traffic being a Sunday morning.  The Navman is great, it really helped us.  We've both lived in Sydney, I grew up there but it's just changed so much and the motorways have cut through areas we used to know but can't quite recognise.  I showed the kids the footpath I helped to build near Julie's place.  I was on an employment programme back in the 80's after my older kids went to live with their dad and had a job for Rockdale Council laying paving bricks on footpaths and carparks.  Best job I ever had.  We used to piss the male gangs off (we were a gang of five women) because we'd finish our jobs way before them because we just put our heads down and got on with it.  It was pissing down with rain so we didn't actually go and walk on the footpath and photograph it like we planned, and Julie's car battery had died so we got busy with Phill helping her with that.  We went and had breakfast together at Maccas and that was nice, then we were on the road to home.  We stopped off to see Sarah at the cemetery and left her a bunch of pretty little yellow roses.  I am always shocked to see more fresh graves at the baby cemetery, this never fails to upset us after all these years.
We had a good run home, I did half of the driving and ended up copping rain and mist as we passed through the southern highlands.  We tried a different turn off to get home from the highway, through Jugiong and it's shorter and much prettier than the usual way we go through Harden.  Yes Harden is the name of a town.
It was great to get home and the animals were all well and happy.  We are broke after the weekend, but all agree it was worth it, especially to see and spend time with little Harvey, we're all in love with him.  So it's frugal time.  I decided we'd have a Chicken Caesar Salad for dinner with a cos lettuce out of our garden, and we defrosted chicken and made our own croutons and only had to buy bacon.  It was an odd recipe off the net and I won't make it again but it was tasty.
Back to reality tomorrow, dealing with the birth certificate crap and my Centrelink debt.  But, right now, life is good.  And it's so nice to be back in my own bed.

5 comments:

CorvusCorax12 said...

glad you had a good time and also know how great it is to be back home :)

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Oh yessssssssssssssssss...there's no place like home!
Glad your time away was ALL THAT and MORE!
Parting is so hard to do. Hope it will be soon that you can do this all over again.
(((hugs)))Pat

yellowdoggranny said...

home is where the heart is...I'd rather have 6 women on a job then 12 men..

Natalie said...

I'm so glad you had a good time and now are safe and sound back home! Now don't hate me but you have just been tagged! Go to Bridget's Daughter and follow the direction under I've been tagged!

Chapter Forty said...

I so agree that there is nothing like your own bed to sleep in.
I love the frugal time sentence.

1.6 loss (1) 91kg (1) Albion Hotel (1) Alex (1) Alex present (1) baby clothes (1) banana bread (1) bath bombs (1) better sleep (1) BIG suprises (1) blocked drain (1) Bumblebee sculpture (1) burning off (1) cancer (1) census (1) chair (1) chemical imbalance (1) Chris (1) Christmas ramblings (1) cold (1) Crunchy Nut Chicken (1) day two WW (1) death party (1) Distance Ed (1) Dot (1) Dot's death (1) DP changes electives (1) drug and alcohol counsellor (1) dying (1) Em tantrum (1) Em's diary (1) Emily is accepted into Distance Education (1) Emily meltdown (1) Emily's 16th birthday (1) enigma bear (1) first weigh in (1) fish drama (1) flood (1) Foxy stew (1) fruit cake (1) garlic potatoes (1) hair cut (2) haircut (1) herb seedlings (1) herbs (1) house inspection (1) HSIE merit (1) Jan's first grandson (1) Jervis Bay (1) Johnny (1) joining Weight Watchers (1) Josh bed (1) Josh goes back to school (1) Josh haircut (1) Josh school photos (1) kittens (1) leadership challenge (1) Little Beef Wellingtons (1) marriage (1) Mason drags the chain....again (1) mediation (1) mentor morning tea (1) mentoring for Josh (1) mineral pool picnic (1) Miss Bobbie (1) Mum 85 (1) new house (1) polished lounge (1) pool (1) pork and veal lasagne (1) pork balls (1) pyromaniac (1) rain (1) Sarah (1) school holidays (1) Shrek 4 (1) SIDS for Kids (1) skinny jeans (1) Skype (1) smashed window (1) snoring (1) snow peas (1) Spring (1) staying put (1) stick blender (1) streaks (1) sweet chilli sauce (1) teriyaki salmon marinade (2) Thai beef salad (1) Thai marinade (1) Thai takeaway (1) transmission (1) Valentine (1) Valentines Day (1) veal parmigiana (1) Vonnie (1) weight loss (1) Weight Watchers day one (1) Wii fit (1) Womanity (1) writing book (1) zebras (1)