Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What The?

Do any of you bloggers ever check the "stats" section of your blog?  I just discovered, that apart from the usual suspects in Australia and the US, I have readers in Belgium, Switzerland and South Korea.  Why?  None of them have ever commented but I wish they would so I could get to know them.
It's early Tuesday, I've been awake since Phill got up to go to work.  I don't know if I'm hormonal or if it's just a reaction to the stress and dramas of the past couple of months but I got a couple of comments yesterday that just made me dissolve into tears.  Phill walked in and asked why I was crying and I just said "a Sarah moment".  He just nodded and was so sweet.  I love blogging, have done so for over eleven years in one form or another and I do it for me, one of the few things that IS just for me, but the fellow bloggers I have encountered have really made an impact in my life at times.  The wisdom, the kindness, the perspective, all of it appreciated much more than you know.
Had another looong phone conversation with Katy last night.  Making up for lost time?  Or do we just appreciate each other more now the hurt has healed a bit?  She is so much like me, but not so much, I think she got the good bit of me and not the crazy part.  I got her doylies, Phill and I went to the Salvo shop and I found the prettiest hand embroidered doylies.  Nobody does that stuff anymore do they?  I got about six for three dollars, who would donate things like that?  I will Napisan them today then wash and iron them and put them in the box we're sending.  I also noticed two Royal Doulton "Bunny Mugs" there.  Why would anyone send those to the Op Shop?  My kids all got one as a Christening present.  Not sure where Ali, Mandy and Nick's are now, I sent them up to them years ago, but Katy, Emily and Josh all have one and they hold pride of place in the china cabinet here.  Strangely, Sarah never had one.  She was also the only one of my children who didn't wear the christening dress that was bought for Ali, she wore the dress from Phill's side of the family.  Weird.
Young ones don't seem to do the christening thing these days, neither of my daughters have or my two nephews.  I loved that ritual.  I am not overly religious but being raised as a Catholic I felt I had to hedge my bets and got all the kids baptised (in the Anglican church).  But it was also a party, a celebration of the birth with all the family.  Ali, Kate, Sarah, Emily and Josh were all baptised at St Paul's Church of England in Burwood in Sydney, where both my sisters, and Paul and I, were married.  Mandy was christened in Sawtell as that's where we were living at the time with my parents as Paul and I had separated, and Nick was christened in the neighbourhood centre in Ambarvale, because that's where the church used to hold their services back in the day when that suburb was new. 
I have that christening dress hanging in the wardrobe.  I have no idea what to do with it, can't get rid of it obviously, and the kids aren't interested in it.  I have thought of having it restored, it needs work done to it, and preserving it somehow.  Maybe that tradition will come back into fashion and one of the younger kids, or the grand kids will want to use it for their babies.  Who knows?
The lamb roast was great last night, kids didn't appreciate it of course.  When I was a kid a baked dinner was one of my favourite meals.  And my mother wasn't a great cook.  I made Carrot and Ginger soup and it was lovely. And so simple and healthy.  I found an old soup cookbook that I got free with a magazine years ago and I'm going to try some more recipes out of it.  It's definitely soup weather, getting cooler every day.
What is up with Easter?  I never know what to do at Easter.  Yes the chocolate eggs and stuff of course but what else?  I usually just bake a chook and make a chocolate cake with a nest of shredded coconut with little foil covered eggs inside (because that's what Mum used to do).  We never got Easter eggs though, she would boil eggs for breakfast and draw faces on them for some inexplicable reason.  The first chocolate Easter egg I ever got was from my sister's boyfriend.  Can't remember which one now.
I do an egg hunt, the kids still expect it and it's fun.  It's going to be a looong weekend, Easter and then ANZAC Day.  Which is also Ali and Matt's wedding anniversary, four years.  And the anniversary of Dad's death on the 21st.  Wow, 30 years since he died, I was only 21.  And he was only 58.
Me and Dad and my brother Chris.

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

bloggers can be the most wonderful people in the world. When my cat Annie was ill and I knew I couldn't pay the vet bills, they all chipped in and paid off more than $1,100 in vet bills..made me weep..

Chapter Forty said...

I love checking my stats and was thrilled to discover that tab, full of so much information. My Dad has a blog too and he and I always compare hits.
Easter is a bit flaky for us in terms of traditions. We do an egg hunt, and usually have some type of meal with everyone in the family, but its never the same thing. Last year everyone bought along some type of indian dish. This year we are having a BBQ and salads.
I love the sound of the cake with coconut nest. Can I request a photo when you make it please?
The egg faced people are rather cute, but why on earth were choc eggs absent. In light of my most recent post- that seems very harsh.

Middle Child said...

Your dad has hair so much like my own dad - dark and curly - both mum and dad had almost blue black hair, pale skin and blue eyes - and not a one of us inherited it from them!
Where do you find the stats page you mentioned?

FoxyMoron said...

YDG how lovely that your blogger friends helped your cat.
CF my mother was very strange in being "non conformist". I could never join in the trends that other kids did, which is probably why I overindulge my own kids now.
Therese, only my late brother got Dad's hair (mum was a blonde) the rest of us are just mousy. Dad's mum had Irish heritage and classic Celt colouring.
The stats button is on the page where you type your blog post up the top right hand, it goes posting, settings, design, monetise then stats.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Dad was a handsome man.
Hubby once had auburn hair like his.

Who makes doilies?
Me! Me! Me! Me!
Do I put them out anymore?
No!
Too much work starching and ironing ruffles.:0(

Trish,
Bloggers share a "special" bond and WE CARE about each other, but of course you knew that. :0)
Sending(((hugs)))across the ocean

Anonymous said...

I am always checking the stats on my blog. Apparently I'm a huge hit in the mid-west and the Canadians can't get enough of me. Who would have thought that!

1.6 loss (1) 91kg (1) Albion Hotel (1) Alex (1) Alex present (1) baby clothes (1) banana bread (1) bath bombs (1) better sleep (1) BIG suprises (1) blocked drain (1) Bumblebee sculpture (1) burning off (1) cancer (1) census (1) chair (1) chemical imbalance (1) Chris (1) Christmas ramblings (1) cold (1) Crunchy Nut Chicken (1) day two WW (1) death party (1) Distance Ed (1) Dot (1) Dot's death (1) DP changes electives (1) drug and alcohol counsellor (1) dying (1) Em tantrum (1) Em's diary (1) Emily is accepted into Distance Education (1) Emily meltdown (1) Emily's 16th birthday (1) enigma bear (1) first weigh in (1) fish drama (1) flood (1) Foxy stew (1) fruit cake (1) garlic potatoes (1) hair cut (2) haircut (1) herb seedlings (1) herbs (1) house inspection (1) HSIE merit (1) Jan's first grandson (1) Jervis Bay (1) Johnny (1) joining Weight Watchers (1) Josh bed (1) Josh goes back to school (1) Josh haircut (1) Josh school photos (1) kittens (1) leadership challenge (1) Little Beef Wellingtons (1) marriage (1) Mason drags the chain....again (1) mediation (1) mentor morning tea (1) mentoring for Josh (1) mineral pool picnic (1) Miss Bobbie (1) Mum 85 (1) new house (1) polished lounge (1) pool (1) pork and veal lasagne (1) pork balls (1) pyromaniac (1) rain (1) Sarah (1) school holidays (1) Shrek 4 (1) SIDS for Kids (1) skinny jeans (1) Skype (1) smashed window (1) snoring (1) snow peas (1) Spring (1) staying put (1) stick blender (1) streaks (1) sweet chilli sauce (1) teriyaki salmon marinade (2) Thai beef salad (1) Thai marinade (1) Thai takeaway (1) transmission (1) Valentine (1) Valentines Day (1) veal parmigiana (1) Vonnie (1) weight loss (1) Weight Watchers day one (1) Wii fit (1) Womanity (1) writing book (1) zebras (1)