Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Day After

Australia Day that is.  Aussie, Aussie, Aussie etc.  I do think they go a bit overboard.  Time was Australia Day was just another public holiday in a long list of pointless public holidays.  Now I suspect it's just another marketing exercise and another excuse to get drunk.
That "too cool for school" dude who never gave me the time of day is STILL trying to "friend" me on Facebook.  Why?  Do they think when we get past 50 we lose all of our memory?  To be honest, only one of the many old school chums I have on FB was a close friend.  She is Godmother to one of my children but our friendship was compromised by the fact that she married a dickhead (my predictions were right 30 years ago, he did, and still does, treat her like shit).  I enjoy being in touch with the other girls, and one bloke whose mum was a good friend of my mum, because we have shared memories and they weren't mean to me at school.  The other ones who were, aren't on my friends list.  I was rarely horrible to anyone at school, I was almost always the one who stuck up for the underdog.  I can remember one or two occasions in primary school that I gave in to peer pressure and went along with the taunting and I still regret it and wish I could find them now and apologise.
My high school years in Coffs Harbour were some of the happiest times of my life.  A lot of the kids still live up there and keep in regular touch and it's nice keeping up with the goings on.  Mostly grand kids now.  Yikes!  I will be a "late" grandmother.  I know I have two grandsons but they are not in my life and probably never will be.  Phill and I will probably be in our late 60s by the time we can be active grandparents.  I can't wait.

5 comments:

karisma said...

Hmmm we did not get into the whole "Aussie Invasion day thing" I say that as one of my boys is horrified at how some of his ancestors came to be here and how the white man treated our native forefathers. (He is reading horrible histories at the moment). So yeah although we are most proud to be Australians we don't celebrate the day of invasion and oppression as such.

Speaking of facebook, I tried to re-add you a while ago and since realised that the person I messaged was not actually you! She just shares your name! How embarrassing! LOL! She probably thinks I am some kind of weirdo stalker or something. So why aren't you my friend anymore? Don't you love me?

FoxyMoron said...

Well said re invasion and oppression, I agree.
And yes I DO LOVE YOU! I don't know why you aren't on my FB page I will add you. Stupid thing I'm only on there to keep tabs on Emily which is another story for another day.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Sitting in the stillness of the early morning light looking at a new 12 inches of heavy snow ;0( on the ground with my coffee and reading YOU :0).

(((hugs)))

yellowdoggranny said...

jacque sue roycroft...facebook me..

Middle Child said...

I don't "celebrate" but on a way just honour Australianess - it was the English who invaded and they are all dead now - ours were Irish and were starving when they were forced out here to stay alive. I have some friends who are part aboriginal part white - and they see it as a day for Australianess - but they are older and see things clearly and are upset that so many people of mixed heritage have such a chip still on their shoulders - the Irish were terrorised for over 800 years, subjected to "the Penal laws which decimated the body mind and spirit - and treated like cattle for hundreds of years - but they knew the poms would never say "Sorry" so they got in first and said "we forgive you" - ha! Australia day to me means summer, people eating together, playing about...it never enters my head to think of the military might of the English dragging poor unfortunate convicts out here for slavery to poor unfortunate aboriginal people - for me its a gathering to celebrate what we have not what we don't have - to come together black white and brindle and have a drink or go for a walk on the beach - to come together - we have to have one day a year like this and its unlikely anyone will change that date to another date - I don't know...The people i descend from were destitute the whole family came out as indentured servants (slaves) for 10 years of hard slog which some of them did not survive - maybe I am honouring the sacrifices they made which made it possible for me to be born and have the life I have.

1.6 loss (1) 91kg (1) Albion Hotel (1) Alex (1) Alex present (1) baby clothes (1) banana bread (1) bath bombs (1) better sleep (1) BIG suprises (1) blocked drain (1) Bumblebee sculpture (1) burning off (1) cancer (1) census (1) chair (1) chemical imbalance (1) Chris (1) Christmas ramblings (1) cold (1) Crunchy Nut Chicken (1) day two WW (1) death party (1) Distance Ed (1) Dot (1) Dot's death (1) DP changes electives (1) drug and alcohol counsellor (1) dying (1) Em tantrum (1) Em's diary (1) Emily is accepted into Distance Education (1) Emily meltdown (1) Emily's 16th birthday (1) enigma bear (1) first weigh in (1) fish drama (1) flood (1) Foxy stew (1) fruit cake (1) garlic potatoes (1) hair cut (2) haircut (1) herb seedlings (1) herbs (1) house inspection (1) HSIE merit (1) Jan's first grandson (1) Jervis Bay (1) Johnny (1) joining Weight Watchers (1) Josh bed (1) Josh goes back to school (1) Josh haircut (1) Josh school photos (1) kittens (1) leadership challenge (1) Little Beef Wellingtons (1) marriage (1) Mason drags the chain....again (1) mediation (1) mentor morning tea (1) mentoring for Josh (1) mineral pool picnic (1) Miss Bobbie (1) Mum 85 (1) new house (1) polished lounge (1) pool (1) pork and veal lasagne (1) pork balls (1) pyromaniac (1) rain (1) Sarah (1) school holidays (1) Shrek 4 (1) SIDS for Kids (1) skinny jeans (1) Skype (1) smashed window (1) snoring (1) snow peas (1) Spring (1) staying put (1) stick blender (1) streaks (1) sweet chilli sauce (1) teriyaki salmon marinade (2) Thai beef salad (1) Thai marinade (1) Thai takeaway (1) transmission (1) Valentine (1) Valentines Day (1) veal parmigiana (1) Vonnie (1) weight loss (1) Weight Watchers day one (1) Wii fit (1) Womanity (1) writing book (1) zebras (1)