Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sprung!

I had an appointment at the community heatlh centre this morning.  I almost didn't go, as I had to walk and it was threatening rain but I had resolved to do it so I got ready and sliced the side off my left (thank goodness) little finger in the process.  I hide the bandaids from a certain person who likes to do all sorts of creative things that they aren't meant for so that when someone needs one there isn't any.  So I'm running around the house one arm in the air, dripping blood, frantically searching for something to cover the wound so I could get out of the house.  I turfed Phill's bag upside down, ratted through the sponge bags that we take on getaways and finally found a packet in the bathroom cabinet.  Duh.  Who put them there? Anyway off I went.  And I'm so glad I did, the counsellor I saw was great and I am going to see her weekly for as long as it takes for me to feel okay about things.  I came out feeling better than when I went in.  I was happy to walk home, not far, in the sprinkling rain.  I glanced across the intersection to the old house we lived in before, where we had such happy times, before Katy left us.  And then I saw them.  Two high school girls walking down the other side of the road.  Now I didn't have my glasses on so I thought I'd cross over to make sure.  Yep it was Emily and her partner in crime yet again wagging school.  You should have seen their faces.  I was the last person they expected to see walk out of that building.  If I wasn't so pissed off I would have laughed (I did later).  I said "where the hell do you think you're going?"  Em replied "back to school".  Well if she was heading towards school in Junee I would have believed her as she was going in the total opposite direction to her own school.  I told them to turn around and come with me, then phoned Phill who was just driving into town having been to Wagga to get the new car window.  He picked us up and  I took them into the school foyer and said "Look what I found on the road!"  Everyone looked as if to say "oh no not again" and they got the rounds of the staffroom and got sent off to next period and put on maths detention for two lunchtimes.  It was maths they were avoiding.  Emily is missing her mentoring this week.
So I didn't get as much done in the house as I wanted.  Finished off the kids' rooms and started on some other tasks but we've put off the inspection until Thursday so I have all day tomorrow, not withstanding some other drama, to get it all done.
The kids got their NAPLAN results back, our boy had an outstanding result and Emily did better than we expected.  Both were down on Maths, which I didn't expect for Josh so much.  But we're happy with where they're at for now given that last year was so unstable for them school wise.  Only a week and a half of term, it's gone so fast.  Term four sees the year draw to a close.  These last three months of the year are always busy.  And busy is good, especially for me. 
Raining again.  We had to drive out to Stockinbingal to pick up a work car and I remarked to Phill how lovely and green the countryside is.  Even my country born and bred boy has had it.  "Yeah but enough is enough" he replied shortly.  Can't fight nature though.  And my peas have flowers and my herbs are lush and ones we lost in the heat are coming back and the blood and bone I scattered all around (with a large smelly heaping helping right near where the greasy little people smoke) has been watered in nicely.
I freshened up Em's pot pourri jar in her room today and my homemade batch from last year's roses, which admittedly is mixed with what is left over from the excellent Northam roses has matured beautifully.  I will make it again this Summer in larger quantities, as the roses are promising to be very prolific.  I love it in the house and it's a nice little addition to a gift in those little organza draw string bags. 
I am feeling better, mentally and physically than I have in years with just the omission of that one little bugbear in my life.  Alcohol.  Nine days free of it now.

2 comments:

Chapter Forty said...

Nine (nearly two hands) is a long time to go alcohol free. We might manage one or two nights a week here and think we are champions. I hope you feel proud of yourself.

Catching Emily will hopefully make her think twice about doing that again. I am glad you can laugh about it.
I want to offer a word of advice about your house inspection. (ignore it if you choose) but In my experience people will see what they want to see, so don't break your back.

Middle Child said...

hahaha I can imagine the shock the girls got when they saw you! Strong woman making them go right back and face the music. Most schools around here have those big high fences but I guess the gates are always open and where theres a will...

1.6 loss (1) 91kg (1) Albion Hotel (1) Alex (1) Alex present (1) baby clothes (1) banana bread (1) bath bombs (1) better sleep (1) BIG suprises (1) blocked drain (1) Bumblebee sculpture (1) burning off (1) cancer (1) census (1) chair (1) chemical imbalance (1) Chris (1) Christmas ramblings (1) cold (1) Crunchy Nut Chicken (1) day two WW (1) death party (1) Distance Ed (1) Dot (1) Dot's death (1) DP changes electives (1) drug and alcohol counsellor (1) dying (1) Em tantrum (1) Em's diary (1) Emily is accepted into Distance Education (1) Emily meltdown (1) Emily's 16th birthday (1) enigma bear (1) first weigh in (1) fish drama (1) flood (1) Foxy stew (1) fruit cake (1) garlic potatoes (1) hair cut (2) haircut (1) herb seedlings (1) herbs (1) house inspection (1) HSIE merit (1) Jan's first grandson (1) Jervis Bay (1) Johnny (1) joining Weight Watchers (1) Josh bed (1) Josh goes back to school (1) Josh haircut (1) Josh school photos (1) kittens (1) leadership challenge (1) Little Beef Wellingtons (1) marriage (1) Mason drags the chain....again (1) mediation (1) mentor morning tea (1) mentoring for Josh (1) mineral pool picnic (1) Miss Bobbie (1) Mum 85 (1) new house (1) polished lounge (1) pool (1) pork and veal lasagne (1) pork balls (1) pyromaniac (1) rain (1) Sarah (1) school holidays (1) Shrek 4 (1) SIDS for Kids (1) skinny jeans (1) Skype (1) smashed window (1) snoring (1) snow peas (1) Spring (1) staying put (1) stick blender (1) streaks (1) sweet chilli sauce (1) teriyaki salmon marinade (2) Thai beef salad (1) Thai marinade (1) Thai takeaway (1) transmission (1) Valentine (1) Valentines Day (1) veal parmigiana (1) Vonnie (1) weight loss (1) Weight Watchers day one (1) Wii fit (1) Womanity (1) writing book (1) zebras (1)